|(What Neural Arts Depicts Me)||(What GAN Draws Me)||(What I Really Am)|
I am an Engineering Manager and Staff Research Engineer in the Deep Dialog group of Machine Intelligence in Google AI. We are working on building the world's best dialogue engines for Google products using deep learning, NLP and recommender systems. Before that, I was a Senior Software Engineer at Google Seattle working on user modeling and machine learning for Ads.
I spent over 7 years at Microsoft Research before joining Google. I was a Researcher at the Deep Learning Technology Center at Microsoft Research Redmond. Before that, I was a Researcher affiliated with Internet Services Research Center (ISRC), Search Quality & Cyber-Intelligene Lab (SQ-CIL) in MSR Redmond. I joined MSR in 2009 after I got my Ph.D. During my Ph.D, I worked with my advisor C. Lee Giles on the next generation scientific literature search engine CiteSeer, which was once the world most popular search engines for scientific literature [screenshot].
My research includes a broad interests of machine learning-related fields, e.g., text classification, information retrieval, search engine ranking, recommender systems and so on.
Deep Learning: Recently, I have been focusing on using deep learning for recommendation, ranking and personalization.
Online User Behavioral Genome Sequencing: my recent research has focused on user behavioral analysis on search engines, mobile devices and other online services in order to create high quality user profiles and better tailor online services to meet the user needs. Our recent WWW 2015 DNN paper and WWW2014 Demo reveals the tip of the iceberg from this project.
From search session to user tasks: In the past three years, I have been leading a project named Search TrailBlazer that aims at redefining search sessions with tasks. Check out our latest project status and code for scientific uses.
Social tagging Recommendation: I've put up a page regarding my research on recommender systems for social bookmarking.
I've been lucky to have worked with many smart students in the for the summer internships at MSR.
- Semantic Search and Proactive Discovery, Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2), Feb, 2015.
- Keynote talk on Knowledge-powered Next Generation Scholarly Search and Recommendation Engines. AAAI 2015 Workshop on Scholarly Big Data: AI Perspectives, Challenges, and Ideas. Jan, 2015.
- Bing Dialog Model: Intent, Knowledge and User Interaction. Penn State University. March, 2013.
- Anca Sailer, Ruchi Mahindru, Yang Song and Xing Wei, Using Machine Learning and Probabilistic Frameworks to Enhance Incident and Problem Management: Automated ticket classification and structuring, in the Book of Maximizing Management Performance and Quality with Service Analytics, 2015.
- Zhen Liao, Yang Song, Yalou Huang, Li-wei He, and Qi He, Task Trail: An Effective Segmentation of User Search Behavior, in ACM Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), ACM, 2014.
- Yang Song, Anca Sailer, and Hidayatullah Shaikh, Hierarchical Online Problem Classification for IT Support Services, in IEEE Transactions on Services Computing (TSC), IEEE Computer Society, 2011.
- Mahesh Viswanathan, Hidayatullah Shaikh, Anca Sailer, Yang Song, Xing Fang, Yu Hui Wu, Zhi Le Zou, Kishore P. Reddy, Abhijit Deshmukh, Manish Gupta, Bharat Krishnamurthy, Manish Sethi, Balaji Viswanathan, Joseph G. Gulla, and Fouad Matar, ERMIS: Designing, developing, and delivering a remote managed infrastructure services solution, in IBM Journal of Research and Development, April 2010.
- Yang Song, Alek Kolcz, and C. Lee Giles, Better Naive Bayes Classification for High-Precision Spam Detection, in Journal of Software: Practice and Experience (SPE), Wiley, May 2009.
- Yang Song, Lu Zhang, and C. Lee Giles, Automatic Tag Recommendation Algorithms for Social Recommender Systems, in ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 2009.
- Umer Farooq, Yang Song, John M. Carroll, and C. Lee Giles, Social Bookmarking for Scholarly Digital Libraries, in IEEE Internet Computing, IEEE, December 2007.
Referred Conference Proceedings
(*) are students I mentored for their summer internships at MSR.
- Qi Guo and Yang Song (equal contribution), Large-Scale Analysis of Viewing Behavior: Towards Measuring Satisfaction with Mobile Proactive Systems, in CIKM 2016 , ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, October 2016.
- Yang Song, Ali Elkahky*, and Xiaodong He, Multi-Rate Deep Learning for Temporal Recommendation, in SIGIR 2016 , ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, July 2016 (short paper). [code]
- Yang Song and Qi Guo, Query-Less: Predicting Task Repetition for NextGen Proactive Search and Recommendation Engines, in WWW 2016 , WWW – World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), April 2016
- Liu Yang *, Qi Guo, Yang Song, Sha Meng, Milad Shokouhi, Kieran McDonald, and W. Bruce Croft, Modelling User Interest for Zero-query Ranking, in European Conference on Information Retrieval ( ECIR 2016), March 2016.
- Zhaohui Wu *, Yang Song, and C. Lee Giles, Exploring Multiple Feature Spaces for Novel Entity Discovery, in AAAI 2016 , AAAI - Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, February 2016.
- Ali Mamdouh Elkahky *, Yang Song, and Xiaodong He, A Multi-View Deep Learning Approach for User Modeling in Recommendation Systems, in WWW 2015 , May 2015. [code]
- Arnab Sinha, Zhihong Shen, Yang Song, Hao Ma, Darrin Eide, and Kuansan Wang, An Overview of Microsoft Academic Service (MAS) and Applications, WWW– World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), 18 May 2015.
- Chieh-Han Wu and Yang Song, Robust and Distributed Web-Scale Near-Dup Document Conflation in Microsoft Academic Service, in IEEE International Conference on Big Data - Workshop on Data Quality Issues , IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, October 2015.
- Yang Song, Xiaolin Shi, Ryen White, and Ahmed Hassan, Context-Aware Web Search Abandonment Prediction, in ACM SIGIR 2014 , ACM, July 2014
- Hongning Wang *, Yang Song, Ming-Wei Chang, Xiaodong He, Ahmed Hassan, and Ryen White, Modeling Action-level Satisfaction for Search Task Satisfaction Prediction, in ACM SIGIR 2014 , ACM, July 2014
- Yang Song, Hongning Wang*, and Xiaodong He, Adapting Deep RankNet for Personalized Search, in WSDM 2014 , ACM, February 2014
- Yang Song, Weiwei Cui, Shixia Liu, and Kuansan Wang, Online Behavioral Genome Sequencing from Usage Logs: Decoding the Search Behaviors, in WWW 2014 , ACM, March 2014 (Demo)
- Hongning Wang *, Xiaodong He, Ming-Wei Chang, Yang Song, Ryen White, and Wei Chu, Personalized Ranking Model Adaptation for Web Search, in The 36th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference ( SIGIR'2013), ACM, July 2013
- Yang Song, Xiaolin Shi, and Xin Fu, Evaluating and Predicting User Engagement Change with Degraded Search Relevance , in WWW 2013 , ACM, May 2013
- Yang Song, Hao Ma, Hongning Wang *, and Kuansan Wang, Exploring and Exploiting User Search Behavior on Mobile and Tablet Devices to Improve Search Relevance, in WWW 2013 , ACM, May 2013
- Ryen White, Wei Chu, Ahmed Hassan, Xiaodong He, Yang Song, and Hongning Wang, Enhancing Personalized Search by Mining and Modeling Task Behavior, in WWW 2013 , ACM, 2013
- Hongning Wang *, Yang Song, Ming-Wei Chang, Xiaodong He, Ryen White, and Wei Chu, Learning to Extract Cross-Session Search Tasks, in WWW 2013 , ACM, 2013
- Zhen Liao *, Yang Song, Li-wei He, and Yalou Huang, Evaluating the Effectiveness of Search Task Trails, in WWW 2012 , ACM, April 2012
- Yang Song, Dengyong Zhou, and Li-wei He, Query Suggestion by Constructing Term-Transition Graphs, in WSDM '12 , ACM, 8 February 2012
- Yang Song, Umer Farooq, and Baojun Qiu, Hierarchical Tag Visualization and Application for Tag Recommendations, in In Proceedings of the 20th ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management ( CIKM '11), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 24 October 2011
- Ahmed Hassan *, Yang Song, and Li-wei He, A Task Level User Satisfaction Metric and its Application on Improving Relevance Estimation, in ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management ( CIKM), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 1 October 2011
- Yang Song, Dengyong Zhou, and Li-wei He, Post-Ranking Query Suggestion by Diversifying Search Results, in SIGIR '11 Proceedings of the 34st annual international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in information retrieval, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., July 2011
- Yang Song, Nam Nguyen *, Li-wei He, Scott Imig, and Robert Rounthwaite, Searchable Web Sites Recommendation, in WSDM'11: Proceedings of the Fourth ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 2011
- Yang Song and Li-wei He, Optimal Rare Query Suggestion With Implicit User Feedback, in WWW '10 Proceedings of the 19th international conference on World wide web, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 2010
- Kamal Jain, Yang Song, Li-wei He, and Mary Czerwinski, Evaluating the Unaccounted Cost of Distraction of Display Ads to the Users, in Web Science Conference 2010 ( WebSci 2010), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 2010
- Yang Song, Anca Sailer, and HIdayatullah Shaikh, Problem Classification Method to Enhance the ITIL Incident, Problem and Change Management Process, in the 11th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management ( IM 2009), IEEE, June 2009
- Yang Songand C. Lee Giles, Efficient User Preference Predictions Using Collaborative Filtering, in the 19th International Conference on Pattern Recognition ( ICPR 2008), IEEE, December 2008
- Yang Song, Lu Zhang, and C. Lee Giles, A Non-parametric Approach to Pair-wise Dynamic Topic Correlation Detection, in IEEE International Conference on Data Mining series ( ICDM 2008), IEEE, December 2008
- Yang Song, Lu Zhang, and C. Lee Giles, Sparse Gaussian Processes Classification for Fast Tag Recommendation, in ACM 17th Conference on Information and Knowledge Management ( CIKM 2008), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., October 2008
- Yang Song, Ziming Zhuang, Huajing Li, Qiankun Zhao, Jia Li, Wang-Chien Lee, and C. Lee Giles, Real-time Automatic Tag Recommendation, in the 31st Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference ( SIGIR 2008), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., July 2008
- Umer Farooq, Thomas G. Kannampallil, Yang Song, Crag H. Ganoe, John Carroll, and C. Lee Giles, Evaluating tagging behavior in social bookmarking systems: metrics and design heuristics, in the 2007 international ACM Conference on Supporting Group Work ( GROUP '07), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., November 2007
- Jian Huang, Seyda Erekia, Yang Song, Hongyuan Zha, and C. Lee Giles, Efficient Multiclass Boosting Classification with Active Learning, in Seventh SIAM International Conference ( SDM 2007), Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, September 2007
- Yang Song, Jian Huang, Ding Zhou, Hongyuan Zha, and C. Lee Giles, IKNN: Informative K-Nearest Neighbor Classification, in PKDD 2007 , Springer Verlag, September 2007
- Yang Song, Jian Huang, Isaac G. Councill, Jia Li, and C. Lee Giles, Efficient Topic-based Unsupervised Name Disambiguation, in the 7th ACM/IEEE-CS joint conference on Digital libraries ( JCDL 2007), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., June 2007
- Yang Song, Jian Huang, Isaac G. Councill, Jia Li, and C. Lee Giles, Generative Models for Name Disambiguation, in the 16th international conference on World Wide Web ( WWW 2007), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., April 2007
- Yang Song, Ding Zhou, Jian Huang, Isaac G. Councill, Hongyuan Zha, and C. Lee Giles, Boosting the Feature Space: Text Categorization for Unstructured Data on the Web, in the Sixth IEEE international Conference on Data Mining, ( ICDM 2006), IEEE, December 2006
- Ding Zhou, Yang Song, Ya Zhang, and Hongyuan Zha, Towards Discovering Organizational Structure from Email Corpus, in the 4th IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications, Los Angeles , CA, U.S.A. 2005 ( ICMLA 2005)., IEEE, August 2005
- Huajing Li, Isaac G. Councill, Levent Bolelli, Ding Zhou, Yang Song, Wang-Chien Lee, A. Sivasubrana, and C. Lee Giles, CiteSeerX - A scalable autonomous scientific digital library, in the First International Conference on Scalable Information Systems ( INFOSCALE 06), IEEE, August 2005
- Program Committee of AAAI, WWW, ECML/PKDD, ACL, EMNLP, SIGIR, CIKM
Journal Reviewer of
- Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR)
- ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS)
- ACM Transactions on Internet Technology (TOIT)
- ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST)
- Journal of Information Retrieval
- Journal of Pattern Recognition
- Journal of American Society for Information Science and Technology
- Journal of Web Semantics
- IET Information Security
EMail: ys at sonyis dot me
747 6th St
Kirkland, WA 98033
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052